A History of the Band
There has been a band in Pilling since 1875, first a pipe and drum band and then Pilling Brass Band. In 1935 the 'Junior' section of the band split off and formed the Pilling Jubilee Silver Band, the name taken from their first engagement on May 6th 1935, their Majesty's Silver Jubilee.
1987 saw the opening of the new, purpose-built bandroom which provided the best facilities the band could wish for. Since then, the band has gone from strength to strength, with the band receiving a grant from the National Lottery Arts Council which provided funds to purchase nine new instruments and help to re-surface the Bandroom car park.
The band has had great success over the last few years, with the band winning a trophy in many of the contests entered. In June 1999, Pilling were promoted to the third section for the first time in the band's history. A year later, we were promoted again, this time into the second section locally. This run of success is due to a lot of hard work and commitment from the players and conductor who have all worked as a team to achieve this phenomenal success.
Since 2009, the band has struggled to fill all places, resulting in a lowering in grading back to the 4th section. The band did however achieve excellent results at the informal Kirkby Lonsdale contest winning Best Band in both 2009 and 2010.